The government has committed £450 million to improving physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools over 6 academic years - 2013 to 2014, 2014 to 2015, 2015 to 2016, 2016-2017, 2017-2018, 2018-2019. The funding is allocated directly to primary school headteachers by the Department of Education, Health and Culture and Media and Sport.
Schools can choose how they use the funding, for example to:
- hire specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work with primary teachers during PE lessons
- support and involve the least active children by running before school, lunchtime and after-school sports clubs
- provide resources and training courses in PE and sport for teachers
- run sport competitions or increase pupils’ participation in the school games
- install equipment on the playground to encourage active time during break and lunchtimes
The government is providing additional funding to improve provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools. This funding- provided jointly by the Department for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport will be allocated to primary schools.